This subpart was produced by FRA together with the other members of the RSAC PTC Working Group. HCRQ submitted comments regarding safety assessment and risk assessment to the FRA, and attended the last meeting of the PTC Working Group to defend them. Our comments, and the net results, are documented in the PTC System Final Rule which was published on January 15, 2010. Goodbye RSPP. Hello PTCIP (PTC Implementation Plan), PTCDP (PTC Development Plan), and PTCSP (PTC Safety Plan)! On September 27, 2010, the FRA published the PTC Systems Final Rule Amendments.
Coincident with the new 49CFR236 Appendix F (Minimum Requirements of FRA Directed Independent Third-Party Assessment of PTC System Safety Verification and Validation), HCRQ offers this service.
We can assist you with:
- PTCDP Section 4 (description of the manner in which the PTC architecture satisfies safety requirements)
- PTCDP Section 8 (description of target safety levels including requirements for system reliability, availability; description of backup methods of operation and critical assumptions associated with target levels)
- PTCSP Section 1 (hazard log)
- PTCSP Section 2 (safety assurance concepts)
- PTCSP Section 3 (risk assessment)
- PTCSP Section 4 (hazard mitigation analysis)
- PTCSP Section 5 (safety assessment & V&V processes)
- PTCSP Section 13 (safety analysis to determine whether, when the system is in operation, any risk remains of an unintended incursion into a roadway work zone due to human error; if the analysis reveals any such risk, the PTCDP and PTCSP shall describe how that risk will be mitigated)
- and other PTCDP and PTCSP sections relating to safety
Note that we mapped PTCDP/PTCSP/NPI sections to PSP sections. Contact us if you would like to know more.
A final note: if you are working with or considering other Subpart H or I safety consultants, ask them for their credentials as system safety engineers and software safety engineers.